The Speaker

by Louis Jenkins




The speaker points out that we don't really have
much of a grasp of things, not only the big things,
the important questions, but the small everyday
things. "How many steps up to your back yard? What
is the name of your district representative? What
did you have for breakfast? What is your wife's
shoe size? Can you tell me the color of your
sweetheart's eyes? Do you remember where you
parked the car?" The evidence is overwhelming.
Most of us never truly experience life. "We drift
through life in daydream, missing the true
richness and joy that life has to offer." When the
speaker has finished we gather around to sing
a few inspirational songs. You and I stand at the
back of the group and hum along since we have
forgotten most of the words.

Comments

  1. Good evening to you! I thought I would come and give you my two cents worth, I agree wholeheartedly that life's richness can only be found by taking hold of the spoon and stirring rather than standing by the stove watching someone else do it. I just hopped over from Owens blog where I got to see all the places he has traveled, and he had your blog prominently placed where I could easily find your speaker frog telling me to do something interesting with my day. So with that, I shall retire to the blankets and snuggle in so that I may report my findings in living color once I have embarked upon the grand adventure that is waking up to a new day. Thanks for the inspiration! I love your blog!
    Love, "Mrs. Slug"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aint that the truth! :-)
    and loving the frog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so true. i find myself guilty of this all the time. but its good to reflect on this because it helps me to move to the point where i am more present in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver