Sunday in CinCity



One thing I love most about Sundays is being able to watch CBS Sunday Morning and getting the thoughtful and humane perspective of the world's events spoken by a quiet man in a bowtie. And, as in life, there's usually a dollop of humor, music, and art thrown in. I haven't been glued to the news trying to follow the tsunami recovery and analysis. It's just too horrific. Interesting, if one can simply think about the science behind earthquakes and what happens to the earth's floor, and interesting to hear the thinking behind salvaging the nuclear reactor and burning oil refinery. But the photos of those cars and boats and planes washed up on real homes that resemble Monopoly game tokens? Horrific beyond my imagination.

I'm on "spring break" for two weeks, which means I'm not squeezing class work into my work and home duties--and home by the way has gotten the short end of that stick. It will take me two weeks to get through the piles of Things To Not Throw Away Until They're Looked Over. Of course, there's a short list of tasks to do for school--follow up with the IRB, write letters to congressmen and senators about NIOSH funding for our program, but I'll try to get that done today and be done with it. Oh, and I keep forgetting--the 3 day hearing conservation classes in the town 45 minutes away from us--non-rush hour traffic, which is the opposite of when we'll be driving. Whoop-ee.

But today, I'm going to pilates, will straighten up the house a bit, cook a little dinner, walk my dog, maybe get to a store to spend the Victoria's Secret gift card from Christmas,catch up on The Good Wife and Parenthood with help from hulu.com and generally lollygag for a day. I wish you all a very restful day of lollygagging.


What Have I Got to Complain About

by David Budbill



We've got enough money now not to worry every minute
about where the next dollar is coming from.
We even go to the movies once in a while.
We've got a nice collection of friends.
Our house is sturdy and well built.
It keeps us warm and stands well against the storms.
The larder is full of rice.
There are plenty of potatoes down cellar.
The freezer is full of vegetables I grew myself.

In the face of all that, slights to my vanity
seem frivolous and nonsensical.

please note: art by Karla Gerard

Comments

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver