Sunday in CinCity







the hookers, the madmen and the doomed

By Charles Bukowski
today at the track
2 or 3 days after
the death of the
jock
came this voice
over the speaker
asking us all to stand
and observe
a few moments
of silence. well,
that's a tired
formula and
I don't like it
but I do like
silence. so we
all stood: the
hookers and the
madmen and the
doomed. I was
set to be dis-
pleased but then
I looked up at the
TV screen
and there
standing silently
in the paddock
waiting to mount
up
stood the other jocks
along with
the officials and
the trainers:
quiet and thinking
of death and the
one gone,
they stood
in a semi-circle
the brave little
men in boots and
silks,
the legions of death
appeared and
vanished, the sun
blinked once
I thought of love
with its head ripped
off
still trying to
sing and
then the announcer
said, thank you
and we all went on about
our business.



The Cincinnati Ballet had their spring performance this weekend, Mozart's Requiem. It's a gorgeous and moving experience, especially with the full chorale from Xavier University, and very Spring-like in its transition from darkness to light. Beautifully done.


If you care to see a minute or two...


please note: photo of the Cincinnati Ballet by the Cincy Ballet


Comments

  1. Wow - that was pretty powerful! I am not really a ballet person, but I think I would have enjoyed that quite a bit.

    Loved the poem too - reminded me of my beloved Dick Francis books :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver