The Return of Odysseus
by George Bilgere When Odysseus finally does get home he is understandably upset about the suitors, who have been mooching off his wife for twenty years, drinking his wine, eating his mutton, etc. In a similar situation today he would seek legal counsel. But those were different times. With the help of his son Telemachus he slaughters roughly one hundred and ten suitors and quite a number of young ladies, although in view of their behavior I use the term loosely. Rivers of blood course across the palace floor. I too have come home in a bad mood. Yesterday, for instance, after the department meeting, when I ended up losing my choice parking spot behind the library to the new provost. I slammed the door. I threw down my book bag in this particular way I have perfected over the years that lets my wife understand the contempt I have for my enemies, which is prodigious. And then with great skill she built a gin and tonic that would have pleased the very gods, and with epic patience she list...
He brought us a lot of enjoyment over the years and sadly people took so much of his joy away. Rest in Peace Michael Jackson.
ReplyDeleteThat man is responsible for my bunions -- and I'm OK with that.
ReplyDeleteThe Michael Jackson I loved as a child and young adult died a long time ago, but I still can't believe he's gone at 50, so young.
ReplyDeleteWhat Kathleen said? Yeah, that!
ReplyDeleteThriller energized my life at a time when I was very low. I will never forget the feeling of coming back to life when I played the album, when I heard it playing all around the neighborhood where I lived.
are you sure its not the Other Guy getting some dancing tips?
ReplyDeleteYou know, the one from the wrong side of town?
I suspect the Devil knows how to dance like a rock star:>) and that Michael lived through his own hell here on earth. I hope he is somewhere at peace.
ReplyDeleteI blame it on the boogie.... :-)
ReplyDeleteHope he's moonwalking in peace now!
What a talented and troubled soul.
ReplyDeleteSad.
Michael was a true artist, a genius. He left our world with a magical legacy. Hopefully he has now found real peace that he did not always have from his very early days.
ReplyDelete