Saturday in CinCity

Bed in Summer


by Robert Louis Stevenson






In winter I get up at night

And dress by yellow candle-light.

In summer, quite the other way,

I have to go to bed by day.



I have to go to bed and see

The birds still hopping on the tree,

Or hear the grown-up people’s feet

Still going past me in the street.



And does it not seem hard to you,

When all the sky is clear and blue,

And I should like so much to play,

To have to go to bed by day?


please note: photo by Amy Frazier

Comments

  1. I love this piece. Long summer days always seem to catch me by surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been able to go to bed when it's still daylight. I miss it so much in winter that I can't waste a bit of it in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was quite surprised and pleased to see this poem by Stevenson, which I'd never come across... a pleasure. This caught my eye because I just finished reading Stevenson's Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes... a marvellous tale of a voyage in south central France, accompanied by an ass named Modestine... if you can find it, it's a wonderful read, short and sweet !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver