Sunday in CinCity





 Wild Geese

by Charles Goodrich



I'm picking beans when the geese fly over, Blue Lake pole

beans I figure to blanch and freeze. Maybe pick some dilly beans.

And there will be more beans to give to the neighbors, forcibly if

necessary.

The geese come over so low I can hear their wings creak, can

see their tail feathers making fine adjustments. They slip-stream along

so gracefully, riding on each other's wind, surfing the sky. Maybe

after the harvest I'll head south. Somebody told me Puerto Vallarta is

nice. I'd be happy with a cheap room. Rice and beans at every meal.

Swim a little, lay on the beach.

Who are you kidding, Charles? You don't like to leave home

in the winter. Spring, fall, or summer either. True. But I do love to

watch those wild geese fly over, feel these impertinent desires glide

through me. Then get back to work.

Comments

  1. Ah, those impertinent desires ! Seem to know them well...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver