Notes from the Other Side

by Jane Kenyon


I divested myself of despair
and fear when I came here.

Now there is no more catching
one's own eye in the mirror,

there are no bad books, no plastic,
no insurance premiums, and of course

no illness. Contrition
does not exist, nor gnashing

of teeth. No one howls as the first
clod of earth hits the casket.

The poor we no longer have with us.
Our calm hearts strike only the hour,

and God, as promised, proves
to be mercy clothed in light.

please note: photo of dust motes

Comments

  1. Dust to dust, whether in motes or inter-galactic intersticial spaces...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found more comfort from Jane Kenyon than from any other poet. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a special post. Thank you for highlighting the wonder of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really hopeful I don't have to address this subject for a few days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver