For You, Friend

by Ted Kooser



this Valentine's Day, I intend to stand
for as long as I can on a kitchen stool
and hold back the hands of the clock,
so that wherever you are, you may walk
even more lightly in your loveliness;
so that the weak, mid-February sun
(whose chill I will feel from the face
of the clock) cannot in any way
lessen the lights in your hair, and the wind
(whose subtle insistence I will feel
in the minute hand) cannot tighten
the corners of your smile. People
drearily walking the winter streets
will long remember this day:
how they glanced up to see you
there in a storefront window, glorious,
strolling along on the outside of time.

Comments

  1. "strolling along on the outside of time" Beautiful. I haven't read much by Mr. Kooser, but I have to say what I've seen, I've liked.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely....thankyou....smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To stop time so a loved one may walk lightly and beautifully. Wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

10 Things I Love That Start With the Letter E