Monday in CinCity. Thank You, Mr. Presidents and The Power to the People Edition.



"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."
GEORGE WASHINGTON, Farewell Address, Sep. 17, 1796

Wisconsin is not the only state where a Republican governor is trying to diminish the voice of the people and create his own oligarchy. It's happening right here in "The Heart of it All." Hubby and I are leaving in a few for a rally at Big Fat University to protest Ohio State Bill 5, a blatant attack on unions in this state. I've worked with and without a union and I can tell you that nurses with a union have a better ability to speak up for patient care issues without fear of employment retaliation. Doesn't mean you don't get the stink-eye and get brought into the office day after day, but it certainly sets clear boundaries. And, to be honest, a grrrl's gotta be somewhere--sitting in an office cooling my heels works for me.


Madison, Wisconsin


Columbus, Ohio

More to follow, unless my eyes are too watery from the teargas...

Comments

  1. I've never had a union to support me in my line of work. There is a difference, I know, but where I work, well let's just say, those nuns really knew how to keep us from organizing.

    I'm with you in mind and spirit, sister.

    They say wearing onions will prevent the teargas from wreaking havoc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I am so glad you are lending your support. What is happening in Wisconsin, the birth place of collective bargaining, could have a domino effect that could ultimately destroy our two-party system (imho).
    I had jobs that were union and most that were not, and my husband is currently in management service with our state so is not represented by the union. None of that matters. The fight for middle class rights matters. Power to the people!

    (When I saw the word verification I had to click "edit" which will probably generate a new WV, but the first one was Portest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the daughter of a steelworker and I am a career teacher, so you know I'm pro-labor through and through. I was raised on the religion of unions, and I know damn well the protection they offer, not just to me as a teacher, but to my students, who don't have to worry about overcrowded classrooms and poor conditions in those rooms as well. This isn't about a budget; we've all taken pay freezes and cuts and have already kicked in way more for our benefits, which have also been cut. Everyone knows it's about the Union-busting agenda that's been on the slate for a certain party for a long time. They need to have the balls to come out and say what it is and stop demonizing educators and first responders and everyone else who keeps their states up and running and their kids educated so that they can lead productive lives. Why am I a villain because I teach?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver