I Started Early by Emily Dickenson


I started Early - Took my Dog
And visited the Sea
The Mermaids in the Basement
Came out to look at me
And Frigates - in the Upper Floor
Extended Hempen Hands
Presuming Me to be a Mouse
Aground - upon the Sands

But no Man moved Me - till the Tide
Went past my simple Shoe
And past my Apron - and my Belt
And past my Bodice - too
And made as He would eat me up
As wholly as a Dew
Upon a Dandelion's Sleeve
And then - I started - too

And He - He followed - close behind
I felt His Silver Heel
Upon my Ankle - Then my Shoes
Would overflow with Pearl

Until We met the Solid Town
No One He seemed to know
And bowing - with a Mighty look
At me - The Sea withdrew
note please--art by tartx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver