Hello, September

IX.


by Wendell Berry



I go by a field where once

I cultivated a few poor crops.

It is now covered with young trees,

for the forest that belongs here

has come back and reclaimed its own.

And I think of all the effort

I have wasted and all the time,

and of how much joy I took

in that failed work and how much

it taught me. For in so failing

I learned something of my place,

something of myself, and now

I welcome back the trees.


please note: photo, Young Trees by Ryan Houston

Comments

  1. Hello September indeed
    And may the earth return to trees...

    Best wishes to our dear distracted one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words...and image....smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love Mr. Berry's quiet power; thank you. How did it get to be September, anyway? (image is perfection, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo and beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for your thoughts and your time:>)

Popular posts from this blog

A Year with EB White

The Poet Goes to Indiana by Mary Oliver

Goldfinches by Mary Oliver